ARIANNA’S RECYCLED PROJECT: JULY

A big hello to all of you, and welcome to our blog again. For this month’s project, I had a bit of help from our little parakeet, Gypsy! Here she is doing one of her favorite things: enjoying the sunset.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Isn’t she beautiful?

 

This was a fairly simple craft, but it did take some delicate touch to make sure it came out as neatly as possible. I used some black colored cardboard as the canvas, and attached a few feathers that came from Gypsy. The parrots molt their feathers once or twice every year, and Kai keeps all the feathers, so we have quite a few!

I put them on the cardboard with some scraps of laminating vinyl, which was a careful task to keep the feathers neat and straight.

I think these arrangements turned out pretty nice, and I think Gypsy agrees.

Here is a photo of a collage I did a few years back, incorporating feathers from both Gypsy and Milo, our Quaker parakeet. It also has a few pressed flowers that Kai had picked for me, which are purple wood sorrel, a common wild plant we see here in Florida.

20200726_221319[1]

These were all enjoyable projects to do, and I definitely give Gypsy and Milo their due credit and thanks, since they were the ones who made the feathers!

Thank you for reading, and  I send my best wishes to you all during these difficult times. Stay strong, be creative, and see you next month!

-Arianna

ARIANNA’S RECYCLED CRAFT PROJECT: MARCH

Hi every one! Sorry this post ended up so late! I finally added the finishing touches on this piece, so here it is.

This is a small decorative tree I put together using things I had laying around, and it also incorporates some bits of nature. The only thing that was not technically recycled was the terracotta plant pot. The skeleton of the tree is a branch from an azalea bush. I would consider it recycled since we were pruning and using it for mulching in our permaculture garden, but I noticed how it looked like a little tree, which is how the idea came to me.

I glued the branch into the pot along with a small handful of pebbles I found outside. Acrylic gloss was used as a glue, but you could use any other glue for this as well. The blue and green leaves were cut from fabric scraps, and the gold wire was something unused I had sitting around. As a finishing touch, I attached some old earrings to the branches. My sister and I had made those many years earlier, but we had never done anything with them, so I’m happy they got re-purposed here.

I still have another branch I saved, so I will probably try this craft again in the future.

Thanks for checking this out, and I hope every one is staying safe and healthy at this moment in time. Keep calm, and keep on creating! Love to all of you!

-Arianna